Classes and portfolio development
Kathryn teaches small group classes for teens and private one on one sessions with students of any age in The Drawing Studio in the lower level of her home.
Portfolio Development for High School
Students who wish to present a portfolio of art work to supplement their college applications. I work with students, one on one, as early as their sophomore year, or as last minute as the fall of their senior year, to help them develop and refine their art as well as to develop skills that will prepare them to be successful in a college art program. I can also guide them in creating key pieces that specific art schools, such as the Rhode Island School of Design and the New York Studio School, require in a portfolio.
Initial consultation to discuss goals and interests $75
Portfolio Preparation –Help selecting and compiling pieces, photography of work $350
Individual Studio Sessions focusing on:
- Creating specific portfolio requirements
- Strengthening skills and introducing new media
- Critiquing and improving existing work
- $125 per 2 hour private session, all drawing materials provided
College/Art School Application Counseling includes:
- Advice on choice of schools and matching programs with goals
- Interpreting portfolio requirements
- $75 per hour
Classes and Individual Studio Sessions
- Instruction in the skill of translating what you see to a two dimensional surface. Students will work in black and white dry media and the course will include proportional relationships, sight measuring, perspective, positive and negative space, line quality, light and shadow, modeling, rendering and composition. We will start by drawing simple classical white objects and move on to more involved and challenging still life arrangements.
Fundamentals of Watercolor
- An introduction to the expressive possibilities of watercolor through a wide variety of techniques and approaches including the flat wash, gradated wash, wet into wet, variegated wash, dry brush, masking and special effects. The class will start with color theory and an introduction to mixing colors and an understanding of pigments.
- An introduction to the basic techniques of painting in oil in which the student will progress from doing small tonal sketches to learning color theory and mixing, glazing and alla prima/direct painting. The class will include learning about the components of paint, characteristics of pigments and the potential of various painting mediums.
- This class will focus on the beautiful medium of soft pastels that have been used for centuries by artists to create drawings with gorgeous saturated color and light. Students will learn color theory in relationship to pastels as well as experimenting with technique on various types of paper. While learning technique we will be doing copy work from famous pastel artists like Degas and Cassatt, as well as contemporary artists and then students will be free to generate their own ideas.
Projects in Drawing
- This class will present more advanced drawing projects for students who have mastered the basics and are ready to explore their own creative sensibility and further develop their skill and the expressive potential of drawing.
Projects in Painting
- This class will present more advanced drawing projects for students who have mastered the basics and are ready to explore their own creative sensibility and further develop their skill and the expressive potential of painting.
- This class will begin with the study of the human skull and the basic bones and muscles of the face and neck- a crucial underpinning to drawing a good portrait. The students will proceed to learning about the basic proportions and planes of the face.
Screenwriting and Storyboarding
- In this class students will write a short screenplay in a screenplay format and storyboard it using drawing materials and paper. A storyboard is a way of organizing a story and its contents. Learning to make a storyboard is a great skill to have for anyone interested in theater, film or any other form of visual storytelling.
Landscape Painting and Drawing
- Drawing as a way of seeing is explored through a series of free hand exercises, thereby developing one’s landscape painting abilities. Students of all levels will have the opportunity to hone their hand skills and sharpen their artist’s eye in articulating forms in the landscape. Students will be instructed in color theory and the principles of good landscape composition.
Distance Learning Drawing Class
- Drawing assignments, examples and resources, feedback and critiques using email and text messaging. Begins with a phone interview about your goals and aspirations for drawing.
All classes and sessions are two hours. 6 week classes are $350 and 12 week classes are $580. Individual studio sessions are $125.
What students and parents have to say:
"I took drawing and two painting classes from Katie. It was the most positive and nurturing environment for me both educationally and personally to practice art. I have developed skills that help me create better art and help me take in what I view in a more aware and constructive way. Through my classes with Katie I have seen a huge improvement in my drawing and painting skills, which helped me develop a well- rounded art portfolio for my college applications. Art classes with Katie and the other students have been a large factor in my enjoyment of high school because of how kind, encouraging and patient Katie is and how nurturing the environment of the studio is. Going to the studio every week is something that I look forward to so much. It is relaxed yet extremely productive--and she has adorable dogs!"
"We highly recommend Katie Freeman, whose guidance and talent helped our son Tim get accepted as an industrial design major at the Savannah College of Art & Design. Katie worked with Tim to first develop his drawing skills, and then shepherd him through the process of putting together a portfolio. Katie is not only a talented artist in her own right, but she also is an accomplished teacher who knows how to bring out the best in her students. In addition, Katie is knowledgeable about art schools and their admittance requirements, and so can provide valuable up-to-date information for both her students and their parents. Overall, we can’t say enough good things about Katie, and we are so grateful that our son Tim had the chance to work with her."
"Katie is the best portfolio prep specialist we've encountered -- and our family has a lot of experience with artists and art school applications. Katie's studio work environment is calm, a welcoming space in which to create. Our daughter was and is immensely creative, but she lacked the focus and organization to complete a strong portfolio. Katie spoke to our daughter's creative side -- artist to artist -- and also sustained a steady, positive work plan to help our daughter complete her work, and ask herself the big picture questions about how her portfolio communicated her skills and artistic objectives."
"In Katie's classes, we create art in a relaxed yet productive environment. She is encouraging and critical without being overbearing. Katie is the most friendly and inspiring art teacher I have ever had and I never want her classes to end!"